Mononucleosis – the Kissing Disease!

kissing diseaseMononucleosis, otherwise known as “mono”, or the “mono kissing disease”, is a contagious condition transferred through saliva. In most cases, the condition isn’t serious with relief coming from over the counter medications and a few lifestyle adjustments. And although the recovery time is lengthy, most activity, with few restrictions, can be resumed in a couple of months

Mono kissing disease is so called due to its transference through saliva, making kissing an easy contagion for this virus, as is anything else that infected saliva comes in contact with such as eating utensils and dishes. Mono is caused by one of two classes of herpes virus, the Epstein-Barr virus and Cytomegalo virus.

Neither is serious, despite the reference to herpes but can make a person infected miserable for more than a couple of months. The incubation period, before symptoms begin to show, is roughly one to two months with many symptoms similar to that of a common cold such as sore throat, headache, fatigue and fever.

The condition, in most cases, isn’t serious with relief coming from over the counter pain relievers that also reduce fever, with active ingredients like Ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

Lifestyle adjustments are also in order for the quickest recovery such as adequate bed rest, plenty of fluids like water and fruit juice and refraining from any stressful, laborious, vigorous or physically intense activity.

In some cases of the infamous mono kissing disease, other complications associated with it may develop that require medical attention; strep throat, for instance, a common bacterial infection requiring antibiotics, commonly accompanies mono.

Although mono kissing disease isn’t serious, the recovery time can be lengthy, as long as three months, with most activity resumable within roughly two months.

Please Follow & Share:
Updated: February 9, 2014 — 6:47 am

Site Disclaimer: This site is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services.
If you feel that you have a health problem, you should seek the advice of your Physician or health care Practitioner.

Frontier Theme