by Sarah Mia
(New York, USA)
The cosmetic industry is capitalizing on the current health trend. More and more women and cosmetic users are becoming health conscious. They are now paying attention to what they put on their faces and if they are detrimental to their health.
This is why cosmetic lines and brands focusing on organic and mineral makeup manufacturing are increasing.
When we say organic makeup, it can come from several different sources & materials. There is organic makeup which is made from plant materials and also from minerals.
Since they are organic, plants used are not exposed to pesticides.
So, all organic makeup can be healthy? The answer, is no.
Not all organic makeup is safe. Plants can have toxins and carcinogens which can produce harmful effects to the body. This would be the same for mineral makeup.
To a certain level, minerals can contain high toxic content. Japanese geisha’s used white powder to make their faces patsy white, this powder unfortunately has high lead content which can lead to poisoning!.
So, if they are still unsafe why recommend it? The point in identifying that organic materials can be unsafe is that we should be cautious of the content of organic and mineral makeup.
When choosing these kinds of makeup, it is necessary that we know if they still carry toxins and carcinogens. Here are some ingredients that you do not want to see on your organic makeup:
• Sodium laurel sulfate – this can lead to skin allergies
• Paraben- this is a common preservative used in traditional makeup
• Hydrosols – it has water which is often unpurified and has chemicals included
• Diethanolamine (DEA), cocamide DEA and triethanolamine (TEA)- these chemicals or cosmetic ingredients are known to cause cancer
When buying organic cosmetic be aware that there are some companies which adds the words “derived from” to make and impression that the ingredients are natural. Be careful of the labeling. Some organic health experts would say that if it is good enough to eat then it can be used.
In relation to organic mineral-based makeup, it also does not mean that the product is totally safe. Just take note of the ingredients and avoid putting or using minerals which show high toxic levels.
You can check the material safety data sheets and check the safety level of the materials in your mineral makeup.
Also, since mineral makeup is loose powder, you need to ensure that the vanity or sink area for the makeup is dust free. It the makeup area has the mineral makeup scattered the dust can still be an irritant.
But organic and mineral-based makeup lists a lot of benefits which would be good for your body and health. These benefits would be:
• Ingredients are not only natural, they can also nurture and heal your skin.
• Mineral foundation evens out the tone of your skin and covers the facial flaws while letting the skin to breathe.
• There are no oil fillers which can block or clog your pore leading to different skin problems.
• There is no talc. Talc can lead to dryness of your skin and even emphasize the face’s fine lines.
Organic and mineral makeup both displays benefits which should be taken advantage by women and cosmetic users. It is about time we focus on our health and not just on beauty alone!.