by Hannah Ramirez
There are many reasons that people state as their reason to stop smoking. When you decide to stop smoking, it helps to have a motivating factor and a solid plan to keep you on track. The tips in this article were designed to help you create a solid plan for quitting and staying smoke free.
* Stay away from situations that might tempt you to smoke. If your workplace has a smoking area, don’t go near there while you’re trying to quit. If you usually smoke while drinking, avoid the local bar. It may be hard to stay away from these situations, but it’ll be even harder to avoid smoking while you’re in them.
* It can help to find another smoker to be your quitting partner. Having someone go through the quitting process with you can make it easier because it will no longer be a struggle that you are going through by yourself. In addition, when either of you have a craving to light a cigarette, the other can serve as a reliable source of motivation.
* When you are trying to quit smoking, be sure that you are drinking plenty of water. Not only is water good for you, but it also fulfills the need to have something in your mouth. Also, large amounts of water help to clear out nicotine and other chemicals in your body caused by cigarettes.
* Make smoking hard to do. Wait until you have finished a pack before buying another one. You should also avoid buying cartons of them at a time. This will make it harder for you to get them. It also will remind you of what an inconvenience smoking is.
* You should make sure you have an appropriate reward system in place for such a difficult task. You will want to reward yourself for at least the first three days of quitting and the first two weeks. After that, monthly milestones are worth a celebration until you hit the annual mark. You can choose your reward based on the time elapsed as well, making success that much sweeter.
* Perform deep breathing exercises for around three to five minutes every single day in order to help you relax when trying to quit smoking. Always breathe in through the nose, hold this for several seconds, and exhale slowly through the mouth. This method is extremely effective for eliminating smoking from your life.
* Keep a variety of fresh fruits handy. When you feel the urge to have a cigarette, eat a piece of healthy fruit to help with your cravings. This is preferable to snacking on candy or other unhealthy substances. The fruit will provide a nice dose of vitamins and minerals to help replenish your system.
* Do not quit alone. Tell everyone you around on regularly that you are trying to quit smoking. They can provide support and encouragement and it can make a huge difference. You might also consider a support group or a counselor. Behavior therapy can help you come up with and stick to strategies that will help you quit smoking.
* When trying to quit smoking, always have a picture of a loved one in your possession. Write down that you’re quitting not just for you, but for them as well. Whenever you feel like giving into the temptation to smoke, take a look at this picture, and read over your message. This will help you to have the willpower to not give in.
It is true that there are many reasons that motivate people to quit smoking. But motivation alone is not usually the way to success. A successful plan to quit smoking involves motivation and tricks to help you when the going gets rough. Use the tips from above and you will find that becoming a non smoker is within your reach.