The Wilmington Family YMCA, in Wilmington North Carolina is a basic fitness center for anyone in town shopping for gyms on a budget. The family membership is an especially good deal.
Fitness Center Review
The parking lot is full most of the daily hours. Peak times are between 5pm and 7pm on weeknights and before noon on Saturdays. People of all colors and ages frequent this gym, setting it aside from many of the other fitness centers in coastal North Carolina, which mainly cater to young professionals.
Inside the automatic glass doors, the lobby of the Wilmington Family YMCA buzzes with activity. Along one wall, shelves hold loose-leaf papers of class schedules. The gym holds free classes for members in everything from spinning to water aerobics to step class to Zumba to Pilates. There is something for everyone, and in most cases there are a wide variety of class levels available.
Down the main hallway leading to the gyms and weight rooms, a large basketball gym on the left is crowded with high school-aged boys. On the right a few feet down is a workout room with weight machines, treadmills, elliptical trainers, and stationary bicycles. This room is nothing fancy, but it looks clean, and all the machines appear to be working.
The gym holds four locker rooms: a basic and an advanced for men and women. The basic locker rooms have linoleum floors and allow children; the advanced have carpeted flooring and are for people 18 and over. Also, the advanced locker rooms feature a few workout machines for members willing to pay a little extra each month for a semi-private workout area.
Some of the features include:
- unlimited use of the Wilmington Family YMCA
- member discounts on all YMCA programs such as after school care, day camp, swim lessons, sports, and specialty classes
- YMCA AWAY Program (provides access to many YMCAs throughout the U.S.)
- free group exercise classes
- free water aerobics classes
- free yoga and Pilates classes
- free spinning program
- free babysitting
- instruction on weight equipment
- family swim and access to lap lanes
- family and older adult programs
- racquetball, basketball, volleyball, and more
- 1/4 mile outdoor track
- cardiovascular equipment
- automatic external defibrillators (AED)
- full-size gymnasium
- freeweights and Cybex machines
- INGEAR cycling classes
- basic locker room
- reduced program fees
- use of two indoor pools and whirlpool spa
- use of four racquetball/handball courts
- FreeActive older adult program
- free play center
- use of all other AWAY YMCAs
This medium-sized gym close to downtown Wilmington, North Carolina, is a great option for people looking to get fit on a budget.